With the 50 Day Transformation Challenge coming up we encourage you guys to start building an arsenal of results-guaranteed recipes. Think: low carb, low sugar, high in vitamins and minerals, minimal synthetic additives, no packaging and as close to whole, real food as possible. Yes... lots to think about, but if you take the time and eat this way regularly, you are guaranteed to achieve the body you want.
Here's a quick an easy recipe that ticks all of those boxes and is super tasty to boot.
Zucchini is high in water and fibre, contains significant amounts of vitamins B6, riboflavin, folate, C, and K, and is low low low in sugar! It also gives you a healthy dose of minerals, like potassium and manganese.
250g bacon, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup white wine
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
450g zucchini peeled into noodles with julienne peeler (*see image below)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pan over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, 8 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
2. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat, then add shallots . Cook until soft, about 2 minutes, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Add wine and cook until reduced by half.
4. Add heavy cream and bring mixture to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low and stir in Parmesan. Cook until sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
6. Add zucchini noodles and toss until completely coated in sauce. Remove from heat and stir in cooked bacon.
* You can find a julienne peeler from any good kitchen or homewares store. They are cheap and a great way to quickly shred up some zucchini noodles (or 'zoodles' if you're in the know!)