Mango season is upon us people! This highly versatile fruit not only tastes great but is full of beneficial vitamins and minerals too. Mango is is high in fibre and is a great source of vitamins A and C. It also contains folate, B6, iron and a little calcium, zinc and vitamin E.
It is relatively high in carbohydrate (fruit sugar) at around 30g of carbs per mango so we wouldn't advise eating a stack of them every day (of course it all depends on what else you eat in the day too) but a little mango diced up on a salad or in a salsa, like the one in our recipe here, definitely ticks our boxes!
Tequila Lime Chicken-
1/4 cup tequila
2 tablespoons lime juice, plus zest
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
4 chicken breasts, thinly sliced or flattened to ½-inch thick
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 mango, cubed
1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, cubed
1/4 cup red onion, diced
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 jalapeño, minced
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
Tequila Lime Chicken Marinade-
1. Whisk all marinade ingredients together; tequila, 2 tablespoons lime juice, zest, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, chili powder, black pepper and olive oil.
2. Put chicken in a resealable plastic bag just large enough to fit the chicken.Pour marinade over the chicken, turning to coat. Remove any air from the bag and seal.Allow chicken to marinate for 20 to 30 mins (room temperature) to 1 hour (refrigerated).
3. Combine in a small bowl 2 tablespoons honey and 1 tablespoon lime juice, set aside.
4. In a medium-sized bowl combine mango, tomato, avocado, red onion, lemon zest and juice, jalapeno and cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Tequila Lime Chicken-
5. Heat grill to medium-high. Add a small amount of vegetable oil on a folded piece of paper towel, and then carefully grease the grill with the oil.
6. Once the grill is nice and hot, add the marinated chicken breasts and discard the marinade. Cook chicken on each side until no longer pink, about 4-6 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the chicken. After flipping the first side, brush the glaze onto the chicken.
7. Remove the chicken from the grill and plate up.
8. Brush more glaze on hot chicken before serving and top with mango salsa.
Recipe from Jessica Gavin.