Meat and veg can seem a little 'blah'..... only if you don't know how to spice it up!
Gather an arsenal of herbs and spices in your pantry and you'll make any bland meal mouthwateringly tangy and tasty. Try this colourful, vitamin-rich recipe this week to stay inspired by your healthy eating plan!
4 x 200g barbecue pork chops (loin or blade), trimmed of fat cooking oil spray
10 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 1½ cups (375ml) hot water for 20 minutes
3 tsp salt-reduced soy sauce
1 tbs fish sauce and extra 1 tbs fish sauce for lemongrass and chilli paste
1 tbs peanut or vegetable oil
1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and finely chopped and extra 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and finely chop
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped and extra 2 cloves garlic, chopped for lemongrass and chilli paste
1 long red chilli, finely sliced and 1 long red chilli, chopped for lemongrass and chilli paste
1 carrot, sliced into thin rounds
150g snowpeas (mange-tout), trimmed
150g green beans, trimmed and halved lengthways
4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced into 3 cm lengths and extra 2 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
lime wedges, to serve (optional)
1. To make the paste, blend all the ingredients to a coarse paste and season with pepper. Rub the paste into the pork chops and marinate overnight.
2. Heat a barbecue or chargrill pan to high. Spray the chops with cooking oil and cook for 3-4 minutes each side until just cooked through. Cover with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
3. While the pork is resting, drain the mushrooms, reserving the soaking water, and slice thickly. Measure out 4 tablespoons of the soaking water into a jug, being careful not to get any of the sediment from the bottom, then mix this with the soy and fish sauces and set aside.
4. Place a large wok or frying pan over high heat. Add the oil, lemongrass, garlic and chilli and cook for 1 minute. Add the carrot and cook for 1 minute before adding the snowpeas, beans and spring onion. Toss and cook the vegetables for 1 minute, then pour in the sauce and toss quickly to combine. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender, then season with pepper.
5. Serve the pork chops and vegetable stir-fry with lime wedges alongside, if liked.
tip: 1 serve = 2 units protein, 2 units vegetables, 1 unit fats.
Recipe from Woolworths.