The nights are becoming frostier and the need for soul-warming food is becoming stronger. We love this recipe because ticks all of our boxes:
✔️ super tasty
✔️ easy to prepare
✔️ fits with our nutrition guidelines
✔️ tastes just as good re-heated the next day too
Give it a whirl this week and let us know what you think!
1g Olive Oil Spray
½ Onion (73g), finely chopped
1 Cloves Garlic (3g), finely chopped
120g Lean Beef Mince
1 tbs Tomato Paste (20g)
1 tsp Dried Oregano (0.5g)
1 Potato (166g)
1 Eggplant (325g), cut into 1cm slices
1 tbs Plain Flour (12g)
¾ Cups Low Fat Milk (180g)
25g Reduced Fat Cheddar, grated
1. Preheat oven to 200°c. Spray a saucepan with oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft. Add mince and cook, stirring to break up lumps, for 3 minutes or until browned.
2. Stir in tomato paste, oregano and 2/3 cup (160ml) water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced.
3. Meanwhile, cook potato in boiling water for 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside to cool slightly. Cut into 5mm slices.
4. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray eggplant with oil. Cook for 5 minutes each side or until tender and golden.
5. Combine flour and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Place milk in a saucepan and whisk in flour mixture. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in cheese and season with freshly ground black pepper.
6. Arrange potato in a single layer over base of a 3 cup (750ml) capacity baking dish. Spread mince mixture over and top with eggplant, overlapping slightly. Pour white sauce over. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top.
Recipe from Woolworths.